September 11, 2011

Remembering 9-11

There were a lot of shows on today about 9-11. A lot of images I've seen a million times. I feel pain, and loss, though I was so fortunate not to have any immediate family or friends killed that day. I can't wrap my head around the number of people that have been affected; not just those that died that day in and subsequent days, but those loved ones that were left behind, and the first responders who have deadly health issues resulting from their heroic efforts. But I found this video online about the concept and the creation of the Memorial. I think its beautiful, and am really glad that they ended up choosing the element of water to be an integral part of the design. The life giving force, always flowing, is a beautiful gesture. The memorial is called "Reflecting Absence," and the two pools will be the largest man-made waterfalls in the country. It is not lost onto me that it flows down into a pool in the footprint of the actual building, and then drops down again into a black hole. Reflective. Poignant. Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. That was amazing. What's the term used for how they organized the names? ...adjencency...something adjacency. It's such a pretty term...remember what it is?

    ReplyDelete