October 28, 2009

Olivia's First Theatre Experience


Olivia and I went with Mimi to the Miracle Theatre in downtown Coral Gables to see the Actors' Playhouse production of "Alice in Wonderland". It was Olivia's first theatre show; she was very good and only got a little antsy the last ten minutes of the show. I love that I can take her to the Miracle Theatre because I used to go there all the time as a kid to see movies (back when the movie screens were REALLY big because there were only two or three theatres!) I remember going there to see "Grease" with my best friend Elizabeth Vance when it came out in 1978. Thank goodness the City of Coral Gables is so committed to preserving its cultural and historic places because the theatre had fallen onto hard times and at one point was so dilapidated that nobody thought it would ever be brought back.

Olivia with the Queen of Hearts and the Caterpillar after the show

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience for Olivia. My mom always tried to expose us to the arts whenever possible & those times spent with her at the theatre, opera and symphony are among my most cherished memories.

    As for the Miracle, I was so happy when they were able to save it. I spent many, many, a Saturday afternoon there growing up. Who wouldn't love it with it's free-standing box office, winding staircases & of course that old wooden phone booth. You'd have to jockey for position just to get in there with your friend to make a call. We loved it! As for those 2 or 3 big screens, all I can say is "OUCH" I'm old. When it was my stomping ground, there was only one humongous screen in a huge auditorium. You'd gather all your friends in the front row of the balcony, enjoy the latest release and then hit Jahns Ice Cream Shoppe (where John Martins is now) after for shakes. Great, great memories!

    ReplyDelete