January 24, 2010

FIghting Swine Flu Like a Little Champ


Haven't been able to get on the blog lately, so I have to catch you up on some happenings... Just before Thanksgiving, little Julia (who was only 9 weeks old at the time) started running a fever. At this age, I know that any fever is serious, so as soon as it started climbing I just immediately took her to Miami Children's Hospital (how glad am I that I live like 2 miles away from it?) We arrived at the Emergency Room shortly after midnight. Unfortunately, because they had to rule out bacterial things like Menengitis, they had to perform a mini spinal tap on her to retract some fluid from her spine. She had to stay in the hospital for a couple nights until all the tests came back. Everything came back negative except for Influenza A, which is basically Swine Flu. At least, it is treated the same way. They were trying to keep us in the hospital one more night but our fantastic pediatrician Dr. Ernie came to the rescue and sent us home just in time for Thanksgiving. My little angel battled it like a champ, and was none worse for the wear a couple days later. Talk about scary though!!

Julia in the smallest hospital gown ever



Getting her spinal tap OUCH!!


We couldn't get a room until about 5:30 in the morning


In the hospital crib


Daddy comes to visit

Well, if there was anything good to this story, it is this: the hospital staff at Miami Children's Hospital was amazing, and I have a new appreciation for what families go through when their children have to be in the hospital, especially during a holiday. The in-house radio station, Radio Lollipop, was great entertainment and they come around to each and every room at least once during a patient's stay. Lamar and I decorated a paper snowman the radio station staff gave us for a contest. We called him called "Frost-a-fari" and he had dreads and a tie-die T-shirt. Julia won a prize for her parents originality (a Carter's sleeper outfit!) Another good thing was that because I was breastfeeding the baby, all my food was free. Granted, hospital food is nothing to call Zagat's for, but still, when you have children, it is such a great luxury to have someone else make your meals for you. I took great advantage of this and loaded up every meal by checking off most everything on the menus. (Yes, I'll have more Jell-O and chocolate cake! And more bacon!!) A local Miami radio station, Power 96, has an annual drive to support Radio Lollipop. I'll be sure to support that mission as I now understand how something that lifts the kids spirits, even if just for a moment, is so important and critical to maintain.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Kauffman,
    My name is Cristene Martinez-Paez and I work at the Marketing Department at MCH. I found your blog on google. I am so glad to hear that your daughter is well and that you had a good experience at our hospital. The hospital is celebrating its 60th anniversary and we are asking parents to submit their stories for our website.Would you like to submit your story on www.mch.com? My email address is cristene.martinez@mch.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. my ju ju....allll better now!

    ReplyDelete